Billy Bob Thornton & the Boxmasters
- This event has passed.
Billy Bob Thornton & the Boxmasters
August 9, 2018 @ 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Join Commercial Bank, Delta Dental, Kroger, Miller Lite, Sea Ray, Sugarlands Distilling Co. and Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee for Knoxville’s newest concert series, Music Feeds. On August 9, Music Feeds will present Billy Bob Thornton & the Boxmasters. Tickets on sale now: Billy Bob Thornton & the Boxmasters tickets
Come enjoy dinner and drinks before each show! Food trucks/vendors and beverages will be on-site at the Tennessee Amphitheater starting at 5:30 p.m. All shows will begin at 7:30 p.m.
Second Harvest Food Bank encourages Music Feeds attendees to stay the night at The Tennessean or Holiday Inn after the shows. With a stay at either hotel, you can walk to and from the concert, and proceeds from each room will benefit the food bank. Rooms can be booked at The Tennessean by calling 865-232-1800 or by visiting www.thetennesseanhotel.com. Rooms can be booked at the Holiday Inn online here: Second Harvest Music Feeds Concert Series Booking Link for the Holiday Inn World’s Fair Park, or by calling 800-264-1579 and mentioning block code “MFC.”
More on Billy Bob Thornton & the Boxmasters:
2017 & 2018 have seen The Boxmasters team up with legendary Engineer/Producer Geoff Emerick for an album that Geoff has called, “One of the most exciting projects I’ve worked on since The Beatles.”
Known for taking over the engineer’s chair on The Beatle’s albums “Revolver,” “Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band” and more, Geoff added a familiar sonic touch to the sound of The Boxmasters, who have been unapologetic Beatles and British Invasion fans. His work on albums by Badfinger, The Zombies, America and Paul McCartney, among many others, have always been huge influences on The Boxmasters.
Sonically “Speck” touches on all of The Boxmaster’s influences, including The Beatles, The Byrds and Big Star but there are new sonic touches as well. Ukulele, Cardboard boxes and the Beatle’s famous “tea towels on the drums” trick pop up on songs throughout the album. “Geoff really did an amazing job on the mixing of this album and did it in a way that you recognize sounds you’ve known all of your life, but at that same time are in a new way. And I really loved being able to sit back and enjoy the mixes of an album instead of sweating every tiny detail of every song.” Says J.D. who typically mixes all of The Boxmaster’s material.
“Lyrically it deals with every thing from personal relationships to politics , social issues . The theme being that we are all specks in this universe trying to navigate it , during trying times in the world we still have our own loves, desires , problems and dreams as individuals.” Says Bud. “We’re just little humans. No matter what our standing is in society”.
The always prolific Bud, J.D. & Teddy have also been working on finishing another long awaited project titled “And Then We Drove” as well as contributing music to an upcoming independent feature film titled “Spare Room.” Songs for the followup companion to “Tea Surfing” have begun being written and recorded as well.
The Boxmaster’s 2018 “Speck Tour” kicks off July 6th in Yountville, CA at the Napa Valley Performing Arts Center and runs through the U.S. in July and August. After the West Coast, The Boxmasters make their way through Texas and then to the Northeast, where the band has rarely played before. Familiar venues such as Knucklehead’s in Kansas City, Boondocks in Springfield, Illinois, and Ram’s Head on Stage in Annapolis, Maryland are joined by new stops in Maine, Oklahoma and California.
- Released three albums – “The Boxmasters,” “Modbilly,” “Christmas Cheer” on Vanguard Records
- “Somewhere Down The Road” on 101 Ranch Records released April 2015
- “Providence” was released in August of 2015 on theBoxmasters.com
- “Boys And Girls…And The World” & “Tea Surfing” released on NDR Records in 2016
- “Modbilly” reached #1 on the Americana Radio Chart for 2 weeks in 2009 and was #14 on the Americana Music Association’s Top 100 Albums of the Year
- Contributed a cover of “Sylvia’s Mother” to the compilation “Twistable Turnable Man- A Tribute to Shel Silverstein”
- “I’ll Give You a Ring” is featured in the film “The Winning Season” starring Sam Rockwell on Lionsgate Films
- Contributed a version of “Little Boxes”, the theme song for the Showtime comedy “Weeds” second season
- Contributed score/end title song to the upcoming independent feature film “Spare Room” directed by Jenica Bergere
- Network TV performances include:
- “The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson” o “Jimmy Kimmel Live”
- “Live with Regis & Kelly”
- Venue performances include:
- Performed on The Grand Ole Opry in 2015
- Headliner at the Minnesota State Fair for 2 nights in August/September 2016
- Headliner at the Iowa State Fair in August 2016
- Co-Headlined with Marty Stuart at Ravinia Place in Chicago in 2016
- Tony LaRussa’s Animal Rescue Foundation’s Benefit in 2009 & 2011
- Hosting/Performing for The Country Music Hall of Fame’s “All For The Hall” Benefit in New York City in 2008
- Levon Helm’s Midnight Ramble twice as well as Levon’s concert “Ramble at The Ryman” in 2008 & 2009
- Billy Bob’s in Fort Worth, Texas, with ZZ Top as the opening act in 2009
- Opening act for Willie Nelson and Family and Ray Price tour 2009 & 2010
- Opened for The Steve Miller Band in Virginia Beach in 2015
- “Virtual Concert” at Michael Nesmith’s Video Ranch in 2009
- The Harley Davidson “Hog Rally” in Milwaukee in 2009
- BMI Showcase at The Sundance Music Festival in 2009
- Headlined the Washington Correspondent’s Jam in Washington, D.C. in 2017
- Performed over 300 feet below ground in the cave at The Bluegrass Underground in McMinnville, Tennessee in 2017
- Multiple SXSW showcases
Band member details:
- Shared the stage with legendary artists from Guns N Roses, Carole King, Alice Cooper, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, to B.B. King and others.
- Long-time counselor and mentor at Rock and Roll Fantasy camps.
- Released solo album “Innocent Loser” in 2012.
- Grammy Award-winning recording engineer whose credits include The Rolling Stones, Kanye West, The Pussycat Dolls, Will Kimbrough, Tommy Womack, Guy Clark, and more.
- Mixer of Documentaries “Iron Will, A Veteran’s Battle with PTSD” (2016) and “It’s Not A Race: The Scooter Cannonball Run” (2015)
- Co-founded The Boxmasters in 2007.
- Recorded four solo albums “Private Radio”, “Edge Of The World”, “Hobo,” and “Beautiful Door.”
- Performed on numerous recordings including Warren Zevon’s GRAMMY winning album “The Wind,” the legendary Earl Scruggs’ “Earl Scruggs and Friends,” and “Anchored In Love: A Tribute to June Carter Cash.”
- Recently co-wrote the song “The Middle of Nowhere” with Tony Joe White on his album “Rain Crow.”