Summer is here and the temperatures are rising! Hydration is important every day but staying well-hydrated when it’s hot is a must. Your body needs more water in hot climates and with physical activity where fluid loss is present.
Proper hydration is needed to regulate body temperature, digest food, help brain function, and to remove waste. Being well hydrated can also help promote mood, sleep, and energy. So how much water do you need? There are many factors that contribute to this number including height, weight, age, sex, activity level, and location but a good rule of thumb is 2 liters a day.
Dehydration occurs when we lose more fluids than we take in. Some signs of dehydration include headache, thirst, fatigue, and muscle cramps, but these symptoms aren’t always present. So how do I know if I am hydrated? The best and easiest way to identify hydration status is by urine color. When you are hydrated, urine should be colorless to a pale yellow; the darker the color the more fluids you need!
Tips for staying hydrated
- Have a glass: in the morning, with meals, and before bed
- Flavor your water: Add lime or lemon to improve the taste
- Carry a water bottle with you everywhere
- Enjoy a smoothie or homemade popsicle
- Use alarms or notifications for reminders
- Make it a challenge with family and friends
Hydration can come from foods too!
Individuals typically get 20% of their fluid needs met from foods found on their plates! Foods that have a large water content are helpful in keeping hydrated on hot days. Many fruits and vegetables are great choices like cucumbers, celery, lettuce, zucchini, watermelon, strawberries, peaches and cauliflower. Stock up on a variety of fruits and vegetables for convenient, hydrating snacks.
Fluids for hydration
Most drinks can help promote hydration. Although water is the best choice, other beverages like milk, tea, and coffee are also good choices to increase fluid intake. It is best to reduce the amount of alcohol, caffeine, and sugary beverages consumed as they tend to lead to dehydration.
Many people all over the world enjoy different beverages to keep them hydrated all summer long. Here are some delicious drinks from Central America, Mexico, Brazil, and India that you could try this summer:
- Aqua fresca – A light and fruity drink popular throughout Mexico and Central America. Blend up fruit, water, lime juice, and a little sweetener to enjoy on a warm summer day.
- Horchata – A traditional, refreshing Mexican drink flavored with rice, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar. Just blend, soak, strain, and serve over ice!
- Brazilian limeade – A summertime favorite, perfect for cookouts or other celebrations. All you need are limes, water, and sugar for this frothy drink.
- Mango lassi – A yogurt based drink typically served as cooling hydration against summer heat in India. Easy to enjoy at home by blending mango, yogurt, sugar, and ice!
Stay hydrated this summer by drinking plenty of water every day making sure to replenish after physical activity. We’d love to see how you stay hydrated! Tag us on social media and share your favorite hydrating beverages!