Hunger Action Month
Whether you’ve been thinking about getting involved with Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee, wondering what steps you can take in your personal life to mitigate food insecurity, or hoping to re-energize your efforts in the fight against hunger, September is an ideal time to do so.
Each September, as a member of the Feeding America network, Second Harvest Food Bank of East Tennessee takes part in Hunger Action Month. This month-long campaign promotes hunger awareness and provides participants with opportunities to fight hunger in their communities — and in our East Tennessee community, where 230,000 of our neighbors are at-risk of hunger, this fight is essential.
This year’s Hunger Action Month theme, the Full Effect, draws attention to hunger’s broad impact. Routine access to nutritious food is often the difference between living and truly thriving.
If you’d like to join us this September, there are a variety of ways you can get involved and take action:
- Volunteer — Give the gift of your time and come work with us! Sign up here.
- Donate — Make a donation to Second Harvest of East Tennessee here. When you give just $1, Second Harvest is able to provide our neighbors 3 meals.
- Act — Start an in-person or virtual food drive, or find one near you. Find out more here.
- Wear Orange — Join us in wearing orange (the national color for hunger relief) on September 15th, which is Hunger Action Day.
- Share — Spread awareness by talking with family or friends about the issue of hunger. You can also promote conversations about food insecurity by liking or sharing Second Harvest’s posts on Facebook and Instagram.
We’ll be sharing information each day of September with more ways to act and learn. Check out the calendar below for an overview.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more ways to get involved, and we hope you’ll take part in fighting hunger this September.