Go Big Orange for Hunger Action Month!
September. Ahhh! The air gets a little crisper. Fall is on its way. Night comes a little earlier. And the buzz around East Tennessee? Football! You start to see that Vols orange everywhere you turn. What you may not know is that September is also Hunger Action Month, AND the official color of Hunger Action Month is ORANGE.
Hunger Action Month is the Feeding America network’s nationwide awareness driver, designed to mobilize the public to take action on the issue of hunger. Our hope for this month is that you will be informed and educated in order to take action in the fight against hunger!
Here are a few ways you can take action this month (and all year long):
- Donating– This action will take the least amount of your time, and every little bit goes a long way with the food bank. Second Harvest is able to provide three meals in East TN with each dollar donated. This month, consider becoming a monthly donor. With just $1 a day (about $30 a month) you could provide more than 1,000 meals in one year. Make a donation today and choose “Monthly Gift” to make the greatest impact. https://community.secondharvestetn.org/donatenow
- Volunteering– Tennessee is the “Volunteer State” after all. Volunteering helps Second Harvest to get more work done efficiently and in a cost effective way. Volunteers do work that would otherwise have to be done by 14 full-time employees, saving the food bank thousands of dollars a year. Sort food from food drives in our warehouse, pack Food for Kids bags or work to rework food in our clean room! For more information on volunteering, visit https://secondharvestetn.org/volunteer/
- Hosting a food + fund drive– Food + fund drives are the bread and butter of any food bank. Both virtual food drives and food & fund drives aid in providing food to hungry East Tennesseans. With a virtual food drive, you are able to pick which foods you would like to purchase for the food bank. A food + fund drive is a good way to physically see what contribution your school, church, office or other group is making to the food bank. For more info on food + fund drives, visit https://secondharvestetn.org/food-and-fund-drive/. To start a Virtual Food Drive, visit https://virtualfooddrive.secondharvestetn.org/.
- Attending an event– Special events help to both raise awareness of Second Harvest’s mission and provide the community with fun and exciting ways to spend time with friends and family, while contributing towards the fight against hunger in East Tennessee. Don’t miss your chance to catch the last show of Music Feeds. Get more info and tickets by visiting: https://secondharvestetn.org/event/absolute-journey/
- Advocating– We can’t fight hunger without you! Advocacy efforts at Second Harvest Food Bank revolve around informing, educating, engaging and empowering the community in the fight with hunger problems. Educate the people around you about hunger in East Tennessee and how they can help. Talk to those you know and help us reach out to the community for support. For more info on how to be the best advocate, visit https://secondharvestetn.org/advocate/
Take action this month! Wear orange to raise awareness for Hunger Action Month (and to cheer on the Vols). Reach out with any questions at the “Contact” form up top. We would love to hear from you. Together we are fighting hunger and feeding hope in our community!